Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering specializing in Highways and Bridges Engineering
Roads and bridges engineering is a branch of civil engineering where Highway engineers are trained to be able to geometrically design a certain road or highway. Also, able to structurally design roads, bridges, and geotechnical structures such as shallow and deep footings.
Roads and bridges engineer’s daily routine involves conducting studies that are related to road construction and provide the necessary advice when needed at the site. One main duty of Highway engineers is to determine the optimum location of bridges, interchanges, and culverts.
Work fields for a structural engineer:
This major has gained a good increase in demand in recent years because of the need for traffic and transportation to improve city commuting. Nations development now can be linked to their transportation and mobility systems.
Roads and bridges engineer work fields are listed below:
- Executing various installations, including roads, bridges, tunnels, and others.
- Supervising the implementation of the various installations, including roads, bridges, tunnels, and others.
- Design of various structures, roads buildings, bridges, tunnels, and others.
- Providing various consultations regarding the roads and bridges sector.
- Maintenance of roads and related infrastructures and making future repairs and adjustments to them if needed.
- Owning private contracting companies concerned with implementing road construction projects.
- Working in industrial jobs in government and private factories.
- Work in educational institutions as teaching assistants in universities and institutes.
Entities that have hired Highways and Bridges engineering graduates:
- Private and mixed sector companies involved in the field of roads and bridges.
- Government ministries and bodies not associated with a ministry, governorates, and municipalities.
Duration of study:
The scientific department that grants the specialization:
Civil Engineering Department.
The scientific backgrounds that can be submitted to obtain the specialization:
Preparatory school graduate. The scientific and applied branches.
Graduates of technical institutes and professional preparations with the corresponding specialization.