Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering specializing in Structural Engineering:
Structural engineering is a branch of civil engineering where structural engineers are trained to design whole or components of engineering facilities. Structural engineers need to understand and calculate the stability, strength, and rigidity of structural structures for buildings and non-building engineering structures. Integrates the work of designers with structural engineers designs and other designers such as architects, engineers, and construction services are often supervised by Structural Engineer. They can also be involved in the design of medical machinery, equipment, and vehicles where structural integrity affects performance and safety. Safety is an important aspect of structural engineering.
Structural engineering theory is based on applied physical laws and empirical knowledge of the structural performance of various materials and geometric shapes. Structural engineering design also uses a number of relatively simple structural elements to build more complex structural systems. Structural engineers are responsible for the creative and effective use of project financial resources as well as finding solutions to structural elements and materials to achieve these goals.
The structural design of the building must ensure that the building is able to stand safely and be able to function without excessive deflections or movements that may tire or crack the structural elements, fail fixtures, connections, or affect the comfort of facility end-users. It should account for movements and forces resulting from temperature, creep, cracks, and assumed loads. It must also ensure that the design is feasible within the acceptable tolerance of the material. It should also allow engineering and construction services to function within the building and function (air conditioning, ventilation, smoke extractor, electricity, lighting, etc. The structural design of a modern building can be very complex, and it often requires a large team to complete it.
Work fields for a structural engineer:
The specialty of Structural engineering is the most popular in the demand for the market, due to a large number of construction world projects and the Arab region, so we find many students who joined the faculties of structural engineering. Structural engineer work fields are listed below:
- Executing various installations, including buildings, bridges, tunnels, and others.
- Supervising the implementation of the various installations, including buildings, bridges, tunnels, and others.
- Design of various structures, including buildings, bridges, tunnels, and others.
- Providing various consultations regarding the construction sector.
- Maintenance of buildings and infrastructures and making future repairs and adjustments to them if needed.
- Owning private contracting companies concerned with implementing construction projects.
- Working in industrial jobs in government and private factories.
- Work in educational institutions as teaching assistants in universities and institutes.
Entities that have hired structural engineering graduates:
- Private and mixed sector companies involved in the field of construction.
- Government ministries and bodies not associated with a ministry, governorates, and municipalities.
Duration of study:
The scientific department that grants the specialization:
Civil Engineering Department.
The scientific backgrounds that can be submitted to obtain the specialization:
Preparatory school graduate. The scientific and applied branches.
Graduates of technical institutes and professional preparations with the corresponding specialization.